Monday, November 17, 2008

Monday, November 17, 2008






















Fifteen months ago my oldest son left our little nest to attend Nascar Technical Institute. His absence tugged heavily on my heart. I missed him so much, the separation was something that I had never encountered before, I grieved over his leaving and I learned that this grieving was called empty nest syndrome. This emptiness did get better over the year, but to make things worse, this past year was pretty devastating for our family, we lost a brother, another brother battled cancer, and dear sweet friend unexpectedly past away.
Our little nest also held three other eggs, two dogs and a cat. This year we lost one dog and a cat, both to cancer. The dog that died was my youngest son's companion dog, Becky was the sun and the moon to him. Tick-tock was my oldest son's cat and had been with him since kindergarten. We have one pet remaining, Honey, my oldest son's dog. She will have surgery today to remove a tumor, we pray that her biopsy will deliver good news.
Someone once told me that we gain nothing and learn nothing if everything in our life has no complications and is easy all of the time, it is through complications, pain and struggle that we become who we are and that our lives are richer and full of meaning. If that is the case, then my life and the nest I live in has become painfully rich and beautiful.
Last week, we celebrated when my oldest son graduated from Nascar and returned to our little nest. The five eggs in the painting represent my two sons, my husband, Honey, and myself. Upon the return of my son, our little eggs are nestled safely in the nest....and it's a good feeling.
Oh, but I can't get too comfortable, my oldest leaves the nest again after Christmas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this one.