Monday, March 8, 2010

Monday, March 8, 2010

  "Kathyrn" is a symbolic self portrait, every object has a purpose for being in the painting.  The idea of painting myself as a mermaid emerged because of where I was born.  Southport, NC is my place of  birth and as a little girl, I played in the Atlantic Ocean.  My father often took me fishing at Bald Head Island.  The shells, ocean, and fish represent those fun earlier times in my life.
I wanted to depict the mermaid bobbing around in the ocean, just as life's journey takes us up and down as we meet different obstacles and challenges.  The tea cup, wine glass, and purse reflect the times I spend with my girlfriends, shopping and sharing conversation, sometimes, my cup surely runs over. "Bling-bling" is one of my nicknames, and the Trollbead bracelet and fantasy necklace I am wearing are gifts from my husband, sons and friends.  The peacock is a symbol of good  luck, my life is full of blessings: my family and friends.  The turquoise wristband on the mermaid's left arm represents the connection I have with cancer, God please help us find a cure for cancer!  I have lost several friends and both parents to this horrid disease.  My brother is in remission and a very dear friend "C" has battled cervical cancer twice.  They are both my heroes!
The crowning glory is the sweet red cardinal that sits on the peacock, apart from me, but very close to me.  The cardinal is a symbol of my dear mother, she loved the red bird so!  I feel that she is still with me looking out for me.

No comments: