Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tuesday, January 13, 2009























When I am energized, I paint, when I'm feeling blue, I paint. It is a wonderful therapy for me! "Feeling Blue" was painted over Christmas. Many people are depressed or saddened during the Christmas season. When I first started teaching, I worked with a principal who became clinically depressed during that time of the year, I never understood why you could become so saddened during Christmas-guess I hadn't lived long enough. Now, I understand, when you've lost so many family members, friends and their family members, I can see why the joy of Christmas can get lost in your own personal baggage. This Christmas, my sister-in-law and my very dear friend both celebrated Christmas for the first time without their mothers. I'm sure Doris, Edye and Hazel are in heaven getting acquainted and rejoicing.
My mother was special to me, she was always there for me, and I feel that she is in heaven guarding me and watching over me (I need all the help I can get mom!) Over Christmas, there were times in which I felt down and depressed. To pick myself up out of this funk I was in, I painted the red cardinal on a blue background in memory of my mother, Linda's mother and Debbie's mother.
I think this poem says it best....
My Mother My Friend
You were my fairy tale princess,
So much larger than life.
You were my angel and my witness
Through all my pain and strife.
At times you made me angry,
Great words I would proclaim
How someday you'd be sorry.
You were the one to blame
But when I needed comforting
You always found the time.
Your words were more soothing
Than days of childhood sublime.
Now the distance holds us apart,
The boundaries have no end.
I'll hold the memories in my heart.
You're my mother, my best friend.
-author unknown

No comments: